Divorce is often the low point of many people’s lives. Even those who choose to undergo a collaborative divorce process can be filled with anxiety and feelings of having not done enough. It is an emotional, stressful time for everyone involved. That being said, it is important to still go through a vetting process with any potential divorce lawyer so you can be sure your interests are well represented. Yes, you’re in a tough situation, but don’t let it get in the way of choosing the best divorce lawyer to represent you. Here are some important questions to ask a divorce lawyer before signing an agreement.
15 Important Questions to Ask a Divorce Lawyer During Your Consultation
- How long have you been practicing law?
- Is divorce your specialty? (Don’t settle for someone that only periodically handles divorce cases. A Tampa divorce lawyer that specializes in family law will be better able to meet your needs.)
- How many divorces have you litigated? (Alternatively, How many collaborative divorces have you assisted with?)
- Have you worked on a case similar to mine?
- What do you consider a positive outcome?
- How many positive outcomes have you had?
- Who will be working on my case?
- How do you ensure your client’s needs are being met?
- Who handles the communications with your client?
- How do you communicate with your clients?
- Do you foresee any challenges with my case?
- Do you work with financial planners, child therapists, divorce coaches, or mediators?
- Do you have any recommendations on other professionals I should contact about my case?
- What is your fee structure?
- What other professionals will I need to hire or pay for?
Feel free to print out these questions before your consultation. If you have additional questions, write them down. Often, when we are meeting a new person and nervous, we forget some of those important questions that end up haunting us later! Questions specific to your situation may include inquiries about child custody, mediation, collaborative divorce, alimony, and more.
Thinking About the Answers
After asking your questions and listening to the attorney’s responses, check in with your gut. Did you feel like your concerns were addressed? Did the attorney feel honest and forthright? Did the attorney’s vision of a positive outcome align with your goals? Some of the answers you received may not have been what you were hoping to hear. Consider whether everything was handled tactfully and whether you felt truly listened to.
If you don’t feel comfortable with a particular attorney, it is wise to consult with another attorney. Who you have representing you and working with you during your divorce can greatly impact the outcome. Make sure you are content with your choice and don’t just settle because of price or a recommendation. Your choice of divorce attorney will not only shape the process but also have implications after your divorce proceedings end.
Consulting a Tampa Divorce Attorney
A skilled Tampa divorce attorney with years working in family law will understand your needs. They will be able to talk you through the process so you understand each aspect. Most importantly, they will treat you like a partner, not a client.
If you’re ready to take the next step and meet with a reputable Tampa divorce attorney, schedule a consultation with Quinn Law Firm, P.A. At Quinn Law Firm, we work with our clients to provide them the best possible outcomes. Our goal is to help our clients transition into the next stage of their post-marital life. Schedule your free consultation today and learn more about what makes Quinn Law Firm a great choice.