Divorce & Family Law Attorneys

A Board Certified Family Lawyer serving Tampa, FL since 1996

Do I have the ability to request a modification of orders from my divorce?

On Behalf of | Sep 9, 2022 | Modifications

When you get a divorce, the court will likely issue multiple orders. These may be for child support and alimony.

After the divorce is final, you may have changes in your circumstances that make you want to request a change in the decree. According to the Florida Statutes, you have the ability to request a modification if you meet certain requirements.

Financial change

The most common reason to request a modification is because of changes in your finances. Keep in mind that the law does require the change to be significant and long-term. If you had a couple of paychecks that were lower than normal, but then your pay went back to normal, that would not be enough to get a modification. A slight change in a financial situation also would not qualify.

Specific changes

For child support, if your child reaches the age of 18 and your order does not automatically end, you can get a modification to end the order. In addition, if you are receiving support and there are changes in the needs of the child, such as an increase in medical expenses, you can get a modification.

For alimony, you generally can request a change if you are paying and the other person remarries or enters into a relationship the law considers similar to marriage.

Keep in mind that while you have the ability to request a change in your orders, it may not always be the best idea to ask for it. The court can raise your obligations even if you are requesting them to be lower if the facts support an increase. So, it is essential to be sure you meet the requirements before filing.