Can You Get a Passport if You Owe Child Support

Can You Get a Passport if You Owe Child Support

One of the most common questions asked shortly after divorce proceedings is, “Can you get a passport if you owe child support?” If you fall behind on child support, you could face many different penalties, including the possibility of passport denial. However, it is important to understand how passport denial works and take steps to restore your passport privileges if the government rejects your passport application.

Our Tampa child support attorneys can help you through the child support process in divorce proceedings.

How to Get a Passport While Owing Back Child Support

Whether you want to renew your passport as someone who enjoys visiting other countries or you want to apply for a passport to attend an important family event overseas, it is crucial to address back child support swiftly so that you can move forward with your pursuit of a U.S. passport.

How Much Can You Owe in Child Support to Get a Passport?

The Florida Department of Revenue says that if you owe at least $2,500 in unpaid child support, the Department of State will not approve your passport application until you pay arrears. In addition, the government will reject your request to replace, renew, or add pages to your passport if you owe at least $2,500 in back support.

Before denying an application, the Department of State mails a notice to parents who owe back support, and they have 30 days to pay child support arrears, reach out to the Child Support Program, or contest the denial by asking for an administrative review.

Can You Leave the Country With Back Child Support?

Can parents leave the country with back child support? Sometimes, parents can leave the country even if they owe back child support. For example, if you owe more than $2,500 in child support arrears and you need to travel for job-related purposes, military duties, or the death of a close relative, you could have the ability to leave the country. However, you should contact the Child Support Program as soon as possible.

If you’re trying to address child support arrears in Florida, contact our firm’s Tampa child support enforcement attorney.

Contact Our Experienced, Dedicated Divorce & Family Law Lawyers Today

As a dedicated family law practice in the Tampa Bay area, we work one on one with our clients, resulting in representation that is characterized by genuine care and understanding. If you are dealing with divorce or other family law issues, please contact at 813-223-7739  to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced family and divorce attorneys.