Florida Alimony Modification


Circumstances do and will change after your divorce that may render some decisions the court made, or you agreed to difficult to maintain. You can often return to court and request a Florida alimony modification.

Regarding alimony, the Florida Statutes grant you the ability to request a modification if you have specific types of spousal support. You cannot ask for a modification for bridge-the-gap or lump sum alimony. Those are set in stone upon the judge’s decree, but you can amend a divorce decree for all other types of spousal support in Florida.

How to Modify Alimony in Florida

Change in Circumstances

To request a modification, you must show a substantial change in circumstances. You must prove what has changed and that it is significant enough for the judge to consider changing your alimony agreement.

The most common reason for modifications is a change in income. We’re often asked, “What happens if I lose my job and can’t pay alimony?

For example, if you pay support and you lose your job, you can usually get a modification if you show this will result in a long-term loss of income. This might be because you secure a new job with a lower salary or you have had an injury that means you cannot work for some time.

A temporary change in your situation will usually not be enough to make a judge change the support order.

Legal Reason

There may also be a legal basis for your request. Florida alimony law allows you to stop paying alimony if the other person remarries. It also applies to relationships that are like marriages, where the person receiving payments is in a relationship getting support from his or her partner. If you request to end the order for this reason, then you have the burden of proving that this relationship exists. You should always ensure your reason for a modification request is valid under the law before making it.

Contact a Tampa Spousal Support Attorney

Need more help answering how does alimony work in Florida or for answers to specific questions, contact a Tampa alimony lawyer at our office!

Contact Our Experienced, Dedicated Divorce & Family Law Lawyers Today

As a dedicated family law practice in the Tampa Bay area, we work one on one with our clients, resulting in representation that is characterized by genuine care and understanding. If you are dealing with divorce or other family law issues, please contact at 813-223-7739  to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced family and divorce attorneys.