Does child support include college expenses?

Child support is a massive aspect of divorce. You need to understand what an arrangement covers and get a fair plan.
One question you may ask is if child support pays for college tuition. According to
College Tuition Compare, Florida students pay $3,891 for in-state residency and $15,494 for out-of-state. This is lower on average than most of the country. However, for most parents, it still is a significant expense.

Does tuition fall under child support?
Florida does not require parents to pay for their child’s college tuition.
Child support is no longer eligible once the child turns 18. For most children, this negates the potential payment of college tuition.

If you want to cover college costs in your divorce settlement, you must come to an agreement before the judge rules on your arrangement. This means you have to provide a written document that both parties sign. If no such record exists, the other parent has no obligation to assist in college expenses.
Other considerations
When you make this agreement, you should consider expenses besides tuition. For instance, the document can include books, housing, traveling expenses and other potential costs. The payments can also come in many forms. For example, your spouse may not agree to any amount regardless of the price, but they might agree to a college fund that you both make regular payments to.
College is one of the most expensive aspects of being a parent. If you want your ex-spouse to contribute to your child’s education beyond high school, you need to make that arrangement before the divorce concludes.

Contact Our Experienced, Dedicated Divorce & Family Law Lawyers Today

As a dedicated family law practice in the Tampa Bay area, we work one on one with our clients, resulting in representation that is characterized by genuine care and understanding. If you are dealing with divorce or other family law issues, please contact at 813-223-7739  to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced family and divorce attorneys.